Values define a person’s character. They shape the beliefs, attitudes and actions of a person. At the centre of teaching and learning in Riverside are the SPARKLE values that will define the Riverian.
- Strength of Character
Leveraging on its name “Riverside”, the school’s use of the word “SPARKLE” is inspired by the sparkling interplay of colours created by the sun’s rays on the river water. This symbolizes the fruition of the school’s education efforts as the pupils soar from the care and nourishment provided by the school, constant flow of learning and quest for knowledge and excellence.
The descriptors for the SPARKLE qualities are as follows:
- Strength of Character: The Riverian with Strength of Character demonstrates integrity and has the moral courage to stand up for what is right. He/She makes decisions based on values and principles; takes action; and is accountable for his/her own words and deeds. He/She is honest and does not lie or deceive others in any way.
- Perseverance: The Persevering Riverian sets goals and sees them to completion. He/She does not give up in the face of difficulties and challenges. He/She demonstrates commitment, determination, diligence, patience, persistence and resilience.
- Adaptability: The Adaptable Riverian is creative, imaginative, flexible and resourceful. He/She demonstrates confidence when handling new or different situations. The Adaptable Riverian thinks and reflects deeply and applies knowledge to solve problems.
- Responsibility: The Responsible Riverian recognizes that he/she has a duty to himself/herself, his/her family, the community, the nation and the world. He/She is honest, trustworthy, reliable and dependable.
- Kindness: The Kind Riverian demonstrates care, compassion, empathy, courtesy and consideration. He/She respects diversity and values all persons, languages, cultures and the larger environment. He/She helps others willingly, works with others harmoniously and contributes to the betterment of the community and the world.
- Leadership: Every Riverian is a leader in his/her own way and will have the opportunity to assume leadership roles in school. The leader in the Riverian will model the way in terms of putting values in action; influence others to work together to achieve shared goals; and recognise contributions by showing appreciation for individual excellence.
- Enthusiasm: The Enthusiastic Riverian has passion for learning and a zest for life. He/She is full of energy, curiosity and optimism. The Enthusiastic Riverian responds to the world around him/her with wonderment and awe.
- Sincerity: The Sincere Riverian is truthful and genuine. He/She speaks truly about his/her thoughts and feelings. He/She allows these thoughts and feelings to be shown in his/her actions.